Saturday, December 18, 2010

30. Korean grandmas are a dying breed. Relish those visors and animal print shirts while you can.

i love Korean Grandmas.

especially my own, but generally i find that Korean Grandmas are the kick-ass sort who flip society the bird from behind their too-large shades with their animal print shirts and permanently sour-puss looks.

as if to say, "Epp you, modahn day nohms, I habuh my own agenda. And dis is my regime's uniporm."

the other day, though, it hit me: after the current generation of wise-cracking, battle-scarred grandmas...disappear...they'll be gone forever.


at least in the US.


think about it.


all that sass came from decades of walking through war-torn streets, learning not to give a damn, and perfecting the art of practical "fashion."


the socks in sandals for comfort, warmth, and full range of motion for those toes.


the animal print, for urban camouflage.


the visors, so the sun won't blind them as they get up to their shenanigans.


like scowling at passersby.


muttering Korean obscenities about them.


haggling.


speed-walking.


nowadays, the up and coming generations of Koreans in the US have become way too trendy.


at least, too trendy to even consider tossing away their - i-don't-even-know-what-their-chosen-articles-of-clothing-are-called-because-i'm-so-frumptastic - in exchange for the Korean grandma fad.


it makes me sad to think that my own grandkids (if they're to exist) will never know what it's like to go Ajimah-spotting.

being waved at in that little way only those grandmas can do, where the hand and forearm almost spasm in unison, and the lady responsible purses her lips in what's supposed to be a friendly smile.

no old ladies to reach out, uninhibited, and pat them on the head.

no little 'fros.

they'll all - mostly - speak English fluently.

i feel like i have a responsibility to future children.

like when i'm old, i have to take on the challenge of keeping the Korean grandma phenomenon going.

learn to speedwalk with my hands clasped behind my back.

purse my lips.

wag my finger at questionable strangers.

overfeed my grandchildren.

clap my hands whenever i laugh.

examine things a little too closely, disregarding the concept of "personal space."

i owe it to my grandkids.

no one should have to miss out on the Korean grandma.

this is a call to short, stubby arms.

the kind that are generally stiff, even and especially when they randomly reach out and yoink you into a hug.

Grandma - Halmony - even though you can't read English, this one's for you.

for all those little slaps you gave my mom whenever she slapped me.

for being the only adult blood relative i had to tell me from the get-go that i should, "Grow up. Go to collegey. Be comedian."

for being you.

i salute you.

love you.

teach me your ways.

2 comments:

  1. Aww... Only Chinese grandmas where I live, but the speed walking with hands behind the back is the same. It's sad when trendiness takes over, but there will always be new situations around the world to water the quirks until they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep the frumpy tradition alive if you keep the early a.m. calisthenics alive...

    ReplyDelete